Chiswick House Kitchen Garden
The Kitchen Garden is being cultivated as a community and educational resource and a thriving kitchen garden.
The Walled Gardens at Chiswick House date back to 1682, when they were created by Sir Stephen Fox who lived in the adjoining Moreton Hall.
In 1812, the 6th Duke of Devonshire purchased Moreton Hall and demolished the house, incorporating its Kitchen Garden into the grounds of Chiswick House. After Chiswick House and Gardens were purchased by public subscription in 1929 the Kitchen Garden faded from memory, being left neglected and closed to the public. The Chiswick House Kitchen Garden project began in February 2005 as a voluntary group dedicated to reviving the gardens and teaching local residents about horticulture and growing food.
Chiswick House and Gardens Trust are cultivating the garden as a community and educational resource and as a thriving kitchen garden. Workshops are run for school children and the community garden is offered for therapeutic horticulture. The Trust is very grateful for the help of the volunteers. The produce is sold to both visitors and the café where it is used in a variety of seasonal offerings. All funds are in aid of the continued preservation of Chiswick House Gardens.