- Chiswick House Estate reunited for the first time in 70 years
- Crack open Chiswick House this Easter
- Support the Pathways Restoration
- Gold at London in Bloom
- Support the Gardens
- Famous Cedars of Lebanon
- Crowdfunding Update and News
- News Archive 2016
- News Archive 2015
- News Archive 2014
- News Archive 2013
- News Archive 2012
News Archive 2011
- Chiswick House Launches Camellia Festival
- Local Volunteer Manager Sought
- 2011 Dog Show Bigger and Better
- Dr Jacques' Lecture Postponed
- Chiswick Launches New Audio Tour
- New Chiswick House book by local historian
- 1000 locals turn out for Good Health, Good Harvest
- Gardening for Everyone
- Savour Chiswick Festival
- House Festival - Closures
- Chiswick House Café Rated London's Top New Building
- Safer Parks Award
- Volunteer Manager Recruited
- A Cracking Time
- Gardening for Everyone
- Gardening Against the Odds Celebrated in Camellia House
- Chiswick Café Wins Civic Trust Award
- Mayor of Hounslow Visits Camellia Festival
- Visitors Flock To See Camellias
- Camellias For Sale
- Wassailing Went With a Swing
- New Café Nominated for Civic Trust Award
- News Archive 2010
- News Archive 2009
- News Archive 2008
- News Archive 2007
- News Archive 2006
2011 Dog Show Bigger and Better
An audience of 2,500 visitors and their canine companions basked in the sunshine as this year's show got off to a flying start.
This year’s annual Chiswick House Gardens Dog Show organised by CHOW in conjunction with Chiswick House Friends, Chiswick House and Gardens Trust and sponsored by Edward d’Arc estate agents, proved to be bigger and better than ever! With an estimated audience of 2500 throughout the day, visitors and their canine companions basked in the sunshine as the show got off to a flying start.
Actress and author Maureen Lipman was on hand to declare the show officially open, sharing her thoughts on the benefits of dog ownership, and revealing that as a child her family didn’t have dogs, but dralon furniture instead! Maureen’s Basenji dog Diva also proved that she’s a dab hand at Agility courses.
To see volunteer camerawoman Julie Ritson’s great video footage of the day see the link on the right.
Local vets CJ Hall sponsored the show rings, with Southfields Grooming sponsoring the new show programme. With class entries exceeding the 500 mark for the first time, and more stallholders than ever exhibiting, the show has certainly become a fixed event on Chiswick’s social calendar.
Other well-known faces attending the show and judging various classes included actor James Dreyfus, and journalist Tom Mangold, together with CHGT Head Gardener Fiona Crumley. Jo Good and Anna Webb of BBC London’s Barking at the Moon radio show were also on hand to judge the Fancy Dress class. Chair of Chiswick House Friends George Nissen joined Derek Fletcher of Edward d’Arc and Vicky Carne, The Dog Coach, to decide on Best in Show, which was won by Jack, a splendid 4 year-old collie cross rescued from Russia. Fullers Brewery kindly provided the prize for the winner. Reserve Best in Show was won by Harvey another rescue dog, whose foster-owner won a pet portrait courtesy of Matthew Bishop Photography.
The organising committee would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the 100+ volunteers who made staging the event possible, and of course also Chiswick House Friends for their role in proceedings as well as Chiswick House and Gardens Trust in providing such a magnificent venue.
To see full class results visit the Chiswick House Dog Show website (link on right).
Winners in the Fancy Dress category
Winners in the Best Trick category with actor James Dreyfus
Maureen Lipman opening the Dog Show
One of the participants!
The Best in Show Judges
This page can be found in the following news feeds