- Chiswick House Estate reunited for the first time in 70 years
- Crack open Chiswick House this Easter
- Support the Pathways Restoration
- Gold at London in Bloom
- Support the Gardens
- Famous Cedars of Lebanon
- Crowdfunding Update and News
- News Archive 2016
- News Archive 2015
- News Archive 2014
- News Archive 2013
- News Archive 2012
- News Archive 2011
News Archive 2010
- Restoration of Chiswick House Gardens
- Temporary Closure on 19 December
- Chiswick Announces New Camellia Festival
- New Education Officer Joins Trust Team
- Pumpkin Party Proves a Winner
- Furniture Returns Home to Chiswick
- Book a Festive Lunch at the Café
- Chiswick House Gardens Shortlisted for Prestigious Landscape Award
- Record Day at Chiswick House Dog Show 2010
- Chiswick Past Inspires Winning Stories
- Garden Volunteers Welcome
- Private Dinner Offer
- Calling all Budding Playwrights!
- Community Gardener Appointed
- Official Launch Party for Restored Gardens
- Restoration Unveiled
- CHGT Volunteers Receive Awards
- Do You Remember?
- Information for Residents
- A Cracking-Good Time at Easter
- Big Lottery Local Food Award
- Camellias at Chiswick
- Conservatory Preview Tours
- Chiswick Café Now Open
- Pupils Explore Wilderness
- News Archive 2009
- News Archive 2008
- News Archive 2007
- News Archive 2006
Calling all Budding Playwrights!
English Heritage and Chiswick House and Gardens Trust are looking for talented writers to create a short sketch based on a historical view of Chiswick gardens.
English Heritage and the Chiswick House and Gardens Trust are looking for talented writers to create a short sketch based on a historical view of Chiswick gardens.
From the scene of grand balls to a place of healing as a Victorian mental asylum, Chiswick House in west London has had a long and varied history.
Now, English Heritage and the CHGT are looking for an alternative take on Chiswick’s past.
Ten signs have been installed in the recently-restored gardens, each showing a historical view of Chiswick. Empty golden picture frames above each sign capture how the same view looks today.
These images should provide the inspiration for your sketch: perhaps you can reveal what secret the two Victorian ladies are sharing in one picture or maybe you can explain what has caused a group of rabbits to dance in another….
Your sketch should be designed to be listened to – like a radio play – and can take any form you like – e.g. song, poem, play, reminiscence – but should be no longer than 3 minutes in length when read aloud. If you would like sound effects, please include them in the script.
There are three categories of entry, and you can choose to base your sketch on either of the images in each.
1. Under 18s (download pdf on right)
a) Long-necked visitors
b) The artist admires his handiwork
2. Residents of Chiswick (download pdf on right)
b) A sporting tradition
3. Adults (download pdf on right)
a) An audience of oranges
b) A place of healing
The winners in each category will have their piece professionally recorded, alongside established playwrights, as part of the new audio trail for visitors to Chiswick. They will also win an English Heritage membership and hamper.
Please indicate which category you wish to enter and provide your name and address (and age if entering the under 18s category). Send your entry to:
Chiswick Competition Email
Or by post to:
1 Waterhouse Square
138-142 High Holborn
The closing date for entries is 31 August 2010.
Competition Image Downloads
Playwright competition images (Under 18s)
Two images of Chiswick House Gardens for the playwright competition (Under 18s)
Playwright competition images (Chiswick Residents)
Two images of Chiswick House Gardens for the playwright competition (Chiswick residents)
Playwright Competition Images (adults)
Two images of Chiswick House Gardens for the playwright competition (adults)
This page can be found in the following news feeds